Egg White Oatmeal
Protein-packed egg white oatmeal!
While the combination of egg whites and oatmeal may sound odd to some, this protein-packed oatmeal bowl is a very popular breakfast combo. Made with rolled oats, eggs whites, and milk, these three simple ingredients create a light, fluffy and filling bowl of egg white oatmeal that is perfect for busy mornings.
Oatmeal with Egg Whites
If you enjoy a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast but you’re looking for ways to boost the protein content, this egg white oatmeal recipe may be the perfect solution. While whole eggs are a wonderful source of nutrition, the egg white specifically is high in protein and low in fat making them a great way to boost the protein content of any recipe. Not to mention, once whipped and cooked, eggs whites puff up and fill with air to add a light and fluffy texture to any bowl of oatmeal.
How to Make Egg White Oatmeal
Make with only 3 ingredients, egg white oatmeal is quick and easy to prepare, simply:
- Warm the oats and milk in a small pot and bring to simmer,
- Once the oats have absorbed most of the liquid, stir in whisked egg whites,
- Continue to stir constantly until everything is well combined, eggs are cooked and the remaining liquid is absorbed,
- Transfer the egg white oatmeal to a bowl,
- Serve with toppings of your choice and enjoy!
To be clear, adding egg whites to oatmeal can only be done with warm oats and will not work will overnight oats as the egg whites must be cooked.
I must admit, I personally found this concept a little strange when I initially saw it but after giving it a try I think it’s a great way to add protein to your oatmeal. Plus, once you’ve got the basic recipe down you can flavour your egg white oatmeal any way that you like to create endless flavour combinations. While I think cinnamon, berries and peanut butter are delicious and nutritious choices, as they add fibre and healthy fat, you can add any toppings you like!
More Healthy Oatmeal Recipes:
Made with only 3 ingredients, this protein-packed egg white oatmeal is a great breakfast to keep you fuelled and full for the day ahead.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk, or water
- 1/4 cup egg whites*
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, add rolled oats and 3/4 cup of the milk and bring to a simmer. Once bubbling, reduce the heat slightly and cook for 4-5 minutes until most of the milk has been absorbed.
- Once the oats have absorbed most of the milk, add the eggs white, cinnamon (optional), honey (optional), and remaining 1/4 cup of milk, and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the oats are cooked, roughly 1-2 minutes.
- Once complete, remove the oatmeal from the heat, transfer it to a bowl, and serve with toppings of your choice.
Egg Whites: If using whole eggs, use the whites from 2 eggs, otherwise, use 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 305 calories
- Sugar: 13 grams
- Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 39 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 20 grams
Keywords: how to make egg white oatmeal, oatmeal with egg whites