Horiatiki, or Greek village salad, is a classic Greek salad made with the perfect combination of fresh seasonal vegetables and salty feta cheese. Made of seasonal vegetables, salty feta cheese, and a simple Greek dressing, this salad is well-balanced, packed full of fiber, and a great recipe for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
Horiatiki: Greek Village Salad
Greek village salad, known as horiatiki salata, is a traditional Greek salad consisting of tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, and feta cheese. Although it is most commonly made with tomatoes and cucumber, horiatiki can be made in a variety of different ways depending on what vegetables are in season, however, it almost always includes feta and oregano. Thanks to its versatility, it’s the perfect dish for warm summer evenings or lazy lunches as it requires minimal time to prepare and absolutely no cooking at all.
Village Salad vs. Greek Salad
The primary difference between a traditional Greek salad (horiatiki) and a North American-style Greek salad is that a village salad does not include lettuce. The horiatiki salad is the “original” Greek salad, while a Greek salad is an adapted version that includes a base of lettuce, in addition to the traditional tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and olives.
How to Make a Greek Village Salad
- Mix the dressing,
- Combine the chopped vegetables,
- Cover the vegetables with the dressing,
- Toss to combine,
- Top with feta cheese,
- And serve!
This village salad can be served on its own with a side of crusty bread or makes a wonderful side dish to grilled meats. If you want to make it ahead of time, simply combine the vegetables and add the dressing when you are ready to serve.
More Greek-Inspired Recipes:
Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki)
Made with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives and feta cheese, this Greek village salad, also known as horiatiki, works well as a simple side dish or light lunch idea.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- Method: By Hand
- Cuisine: Greek
- 4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- 1 red pepper, cubed
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 6 ounces feta cheese, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl or jar, add all of the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, add all of the sliced vegetables; tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, red onion and olive.
- Cover the vegetables with the dressing and toss until everything is well-coated and top with slices of feta cheese.
- This salad can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 199 calories
- Sugar: 6 grams
- Fat: 17 grams
- Carbohydrates: 9 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
Keywords: horiatiki, dressing, authentic, simple