Seared scallop pasta with garlic and tomatoes.
Made with bursting tomatoes, fragrant garlic, and fresh herbs, this scallop pasta is a sophisticated yet simple dish. Although often reserved for special occasions, scallops are perfect for a weeknight dinner because they cook in minutes and are packed full of protein to help create a healthy and well-balanced meal.
This recipe calls for spaghetti, however, you could certainly use any type of pasta that you enjoy; spaghettini, fettuccine, or linguine would work particularly well. This scallop pasta is wonderful served on its own as the star of the show or pairs nicely with a bright green salad with a simple lemon dressing or oil-based vinaigrette.
More Healthy Pasta Recipes:
Filled with ripe tomatoes, fragrant garlic, and fresh herbs, this seared scallop pasta is perfect for a light dinner that is high in protein and full of flavour.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- 8 scallops
- 170 grams spaghetti, dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, finely chopped (such as basil, tarragon, and/or parsley)
- Black pepper
- Parmesan, to serve
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook according to package directions. Once cooked, reserve a ¼ cup of the pasta water, drain pasta, and set pasta aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, pat the scallops dry with a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Preheat a pan or cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat, add olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Once the butter has melted and the pan is warm, add the scallops and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Once cooked, transfer scallops to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium, then add shallot and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until tender.
- Add cherry tomatoes, chilli flakes, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 3-4 minutes until tomatoes begin to break down.
- Add the reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water, stir to combine, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to help reduce the water and thicken the tomato mixture.
- Once reduced slightly, add the fresh herbs and the remaining tablespoon of butter and stir until the herbs have wilted slightly.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the pass and toss until well coated in the tomato mixture.
- To serve, transfer pasta and tomato mixture to bowls, top with cooked scallops and a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 579 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 21 grams
- Carbohydrates: 72 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 26 grams