Filled with cucumber, tomato, red onion, and leafy greens, this hummus sandwich is perfect for a quick and easy lunch. Whether you’re eating at home, packing an office lunch, or packing a school lunch, this veggie-packed sandwich is a healthy, hearty, and high-fiber meal.
Part of the reason I love a hummus sandwich so much is that it’s so incredibly versatile. With so many different styles of bread, flavors of hummus, and vegetables to choose from, you can easily create endless versions of this simple sandwich. Be it sourdough bread and garlic hummus, sprouted grain bread and roasted red pepper hummus, or seedy bread and spicy hummus, this veggie hummus sandwich recipe is a quick and healthy lunch idea that you can keep coming back to at any time of the year.
How to Make a Healthy Hummus Sandwich
- Pick your bread. A good sandwich begins with good bread. While any type of bread with work in a hummus sandwich, I find seedy bread works particularly well.
- Spread with hummus. You can use any brand or flavor of hummus that you like or, better yet, make homemade hummus if you’re feeling up to it!
- Add veggies. You can add any combination of raw or grilled vegetables you like.
Although this recipe calls for cucumber, tomato, red onion, and leafy greens, you can certainly mix and match the vegetables as you like; shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, roasted red peppers, and sprouts would all work particularly well. Not to mention, a slice of cheddar cheese or avocado always makes a lovely addition to any hummus sandwich.
Veggie and Hummus Sandwich
Once prepared this hummus sandwich can easily be stored in the fridge for one day, however, I don’t recommend leaving it any longer than this. While the veggies and hummus will last, the high moisture level of the ingredients may leave you with a soggy sandwich so it’s best to make this hummus sandwich right before eating or the night before.
More Healthy Sandwich Recipes:
Veggie Hummus Sandwich
Filled with cucumber, tomato, red onion, and leafy greens, this hummus sandwich is a veggie-packed meal. Feel free to add a slice of cheese for a boost of healthy fats and protein if you like.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 2 slices of bread, of your choice
- 3 tablespoon hummus, of your choice
- 6 slices cucumber, thin
- 4 slices tomato, thin
- 4 slices red onion, thin
- 1/2 cup mixed greens
- 1 oz. cheddar cheese (optional)
- Lay the slices of bread on a cutting board and spread each slice with 1/2 of the hummus.
- Add cucumber, tomato, and cheese (optional) to one slice and season with salt and pepper, add leafy greens and red onion to the other slice, then combine slices of bread to form a sandwich.
- This sandwich can be served immediately or wrapped in plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or stored in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 464 calories
- Sugar: 16 grams
- Fat: 16 grams
- Carbohydrates: 66 grams
- Fiber: 8 grams
- Protein: 19 grams
Keywords: cucumber, mediterranean, cheese
Leave a Review