Made with penne pasta, basil pesto, chicken, and broccoli, this chicken pesto pasta is a well-balanced meal complete with fiber, protein, and healthy fats! Not only does this recipe work well as a healthy weeknight meal but also keeps well in the fridge making it a wonderful meal prep idea for healthy weekday lunches.
I used penne pasta in my recipe, however, you could certainly use spaghetti, fettuccine, or bow-tie pasta if you prefer – any style of pasta will work! You could also add a splash of heavy cream or milk to the dish if you wanted to create a creamier sauce, or add extra vegetables in the form of tomatoes or asparagus for an added boost of fiber. Regardless of which route you go, this pesto pasta is sure to be a great addition to your weeknight dinner repertoire, as it works well all year long.
More Healthy Pasta Recipes:Print
Chicken Pesto Pasta
This healthy chicken pesto pasta with broccoli is a quick and easy recipe you can whip up any time of the year. Feel free to add extra veggies or a splash of cream for an extra creamy sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- 6 ounces (170 grams) penne pasta, dry
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, florets
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. With 2-minutes remaining, add broccoli florets to the pot, scooping 1-cup of pasta water out of the pot. Then, once cooked, drain pasta and broccoli and set aside.
- Place chicken breast on a cutting board, sliced into thin strips, and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a large pan on medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Add sliced chicken, minced garlic, and chili flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes per side or until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Once cooked, add the pasta and pesto to the pan with the chicken and toss until everything is well coated. If you find the mixture too thick, add a splash of the reserved pasta water until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Once cooked, divide the mixture evenly across two bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 617 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 26 grams
- Carbohydrates: 63 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 33 grams
Keywords: creamy, basil, healthy, broccoli